Across border to Canada

Moving From USA to Canada?
 Free Moving Quote

Your Trusted Mover To Canada

Capital: Ottawa
Population: 34.88 million (2012)
Area: 3,855,100 square miles
Top 5 Largest Cities: 1. Toronto 2. Montreal 3. Vancouver 4. Ottawa-Gatineau 5. Calgary
Lanuage: English & French
Climate: High summer temperature and average winter temperature.
Motto: “A Mari Usque Ad Mare” / “From Sea to Sea”

At nationwide Van Lines, we will implement our professionalism to set your furniture off to Canada with ease. With our highly trained Certified Packers through AMSA & top of the line materials, we will not only move you, but move you with care. We will offer you Door to Door service with everything included. Allow us to take charge of your household move to help you plan efficiently. Give us all the stress and we will give you nothing but our professional best!

Import Requirements and Documentation

Bill of Lading (BOL) – Nationwide Van Lines LLC will take charge by developing the proper BOL for your household goods to be transported to Canada. The BOL features all the information about the transport and the customs and also identifies the household goods to be shipped.

Import Declaration – A document stating the household goods being shipped.

Customs Value Declaration – A document used to calculate duties and taxes that states the value of the entire household shipment.

Manifest or Cargo Control Document (CCD) – This document is utilized to identify you and your household goods. To ensure proper clearance and the closing of your shipment, Customs will tediously assure each item is identified, inspected and charged properly.

Packing List – Our Certified Packers & Loaders will construct a list which features the item name, dimensions, weight, quantity and model number if applicable. You will be given a copy for your records.

If your shipment exceeds $2,500 CAD ($2,282.92 US), the NAFTA Certificate of Origin must be filled out completely. The origin country of each item must be indicated clearly for Customs to qualify your household shipment as NAFTA eligible. You can find the NAFTA Certificate of Origin at

The following personal documents are required by Customs:

  • Residence or Temporary Work Visa
  • Original Bill of Lading
  • Brazil Identification Card
  • Proof of residing abroad for a year or more for returning citizens
  • Notarized Passport
  • 2 notarized copies of your airline tickets
  • Baggage declaration for returning citizens and non-Diplomats
  • 2 notarized copies of your Brazilian Tax Card (CPF Number)
  • Notarized Employment Contract, if a non-Diplomat
  • 3 copies of Supplemental Form for Diplomats
  • Certificate of Residence for returning citizens
  • 13 months of preceding bill receipts,/
  • 2 copies of the Registro Nacional de Estrangeiros (RNE) for a non-diplomat. You must go to your local Federal Police within 30 days of arrival in Brazil.
  • Authenticated copy of Ministério das Relaçoes Exteriores (MRE) identification for Diplomats
  • 3 notarized copies of Declaraçao Simplificada de Importaçao (DSI), Diplomatic Franchise for Diplomats
  • Guaranteed Bond for a non-Diplomat
  • ISPM-15 “Fumigation Certificate, if it applies
  • Declaration of Residence Abroad for returning citizens and non-Diplomats
  • Inventory list of items in Portuguese (1 for your new items and 1 for your old items)
  • Letter of authorizing Destination Agent for clearance

The following personal documents are required by Customs:

  • Your Visa if needed
  • Original Bill of Lading (OBL)
  • Copy of your Passport
  • Your Work Permit or Student Visa, if needed
  • Proof for Residency for a year or more abroad such as utilities, bank statements, income tax, etc.
  • Importers Declaration for Customs
  • Liquor Permit if required
  • Death certificate, Will or a letter for the Executor of an estate if any items imported are inherited
  • The United States/Canada Border Declaration if applicable
  • Obligation for Privilege from the Canadian Ministry of External Affairs for Diplomats
  • Your Packing list of items in either English or French
  • Immigration Papers
  • Receipts for new items
  • Landed Immigrant Application if applicable

Additional detailed document requirements

  • You must be present for Customs clearance. If any of your HHGS were purchased after March 31, 1977 and are worth more than $10,000 will incur standard taxes and duties on the excess amount.
  • Returning Canadians can import HHGS and their personal effects without duty if owned for over 6 months, owned and used in Canada for no less than 6 months, not for resale and living abroad for over a year. If you have lived abroad for over 5 years, the 6 month ownership clause does not apply.
  • When you arrive, your items must be declared at Customs. It behooves you to have a copy of your Packing List
  • Diplomats can import HHGS and personal effects without duty.
  • The Will or the letter from the Executor of the estate must have your name for the items shipped to import duty-free.
  • Wood packing materials must be heat-treated or fumigated with methyl bromide, accompanied with a Phytosanitary Certificate and marked by the means of the Plant Protection Convention (IPPC).
  • If you’re an immigrant or have a Work or Student Visa, your HHGS must be owned and used prior to being imported. Cannot include goods to be sold or discard prior to a year after importation to receive a duty-free shipment.
  • If you are a Season Resident, your HHGS and personal effects can be imported duty-free only once if the HHGS are for a seasonal furnishing, owned and used prior to being imported, not sold for no less than a year, for personal and family use only, proof of purchase.

The Examination of Household Goods and Entry Documents

Once your household goods have arrived in Cananda along with your documents, both are subjected to examination by Customs. A CBP officer will examine your household goods to determine the value, correct markings, proper invoicing, existence of prohibited items, damages, deterioration and illegal narcotics. It’s important to assure all items are properly described and accounted for to avoid any delays or seizure of items. Once your items are approved for release, they are safeguarded by the proper officers.

Duty and Taxes

Once your items have arrived to Customs, duty and taxes will be applied. Duty cost falls in the range of 0% - 20%. A variety of electronic products, toys, antiques, etc. are not subjected to a duty charge. General Sales Tax (GST), 5%, Provincial Sales Tax (PST), 7 – 10%, and Harmonized Sales Tax (HST), 13 – 14%, are taxes that may be applied. The rate of duty and taxes is based on your physical address in Canada, not where your items are imported.

Duty-Free Items

  • One can import specific goods and quantity into Canada. You must be 18 years or older to apply. The following are the detail of Duty-Free goods:
  • 200 cigarettes, 50 cigars, 200 grams of tobacco sticks and 200 grams of tobacco
  • For non-residents, gifts worth $54.08 USD or less per item

Requirements for Marking and Labeling

Each item will be labeled properly towards Canada’s standards by the Council of Canada. We will mark and label each item to make the Customs process swift and easy. You can learn more about proper labeling and markings, please visit

Restricted and Prohibited Items

Customs do their best to keep their citizens safe and their economy going. There are various household goods that are deemed restricted or prohibited. To better learn of items that will not be accepted by Customs, please visit

Prohibited Items

Not every item can pass through Customs in Canada. To avoid any delays and extra charges, please refer to the list of restricted items below.

  • Explosives (if applicable)
  • Weapons (if applicable)
  • Ammunition (if applicable)
  • Fireworks (if applicable)
  • Baby walkers
  • Used mattresses
  • Any animal or product deemed endangered
  • Obscene articles, publications, videos and/or software’s
  • Some Vegetables
  • Electronic cigarettes
  • Plants
  • Some Fruits
  • Controlled drugs and narcotics
  • Products of Iran

Restricted Items

Some items are permitted and restricted to quantity, but still requires either special authorization and/or duties to be paid. Here is a list below of Restricted Items.

  • Items over $10,000 in value are subjected to duties and taxes
  • Alcohol (must be of legal age for drinking, up to 1.5 liters of wine, up to 1.14 liters of alcohol or 8.5 liters of beer/ale; must have an Import Permit)
  • Meat is not recommended to import and will require authorization.
  • New items must include the Bill of Sale.
  • Plants and its Products (must have Import Permit)
  • Obscene articles, publications, videos and/or software’s
  • Explosives (requires written authorization and permits)
  • Fireworks (requires written authorization and permits)
  • Ammunition (requires written authorization and permits)
  • Guns (must be declared at the port of entry; sporting arms are permitted with police permit; handguns require a rarely given permit)
  • Due to high chances of freezing, wine cannot be shipped between October 1st to March 31st.
  • Antiques, paintings, carpets and artwork over 100 years old must be part of your HHGS and not for resale to be duty-free.
  • Weeding gifts are duty-free if married recently or intend to within the next 3 months.
  • Radio’s and Walkie-Talkies
  • Foodstuff is not recommended because it elongates Customs clearance and will incur extra charges.
  • Tobacco Products (some may be restricted)
  • New and Used Office Equipment
  • Prescription Drugs (proof of prescription required)

Receiving your Household Goods

The liability for duties are paid once Customs has cleared your shipment for release. There are no options of prepaid duties or taxes prior to exportation from a foreign country. Once your shipment is filed with CBP, the party and only the party listed as the receiver can pick up the shipment. If household goods are warehoused, the party of liability can be changed to another party, most whom purchased the goods. The Customs broker cannot pay duties, but can accept a check written out to the Customs and Border Protection to forward. Once items are received, all articles are deemed owned by the receiver and no longer in ownership of the CBP.

To learn more about moving your household goods to Canada, please visit

Canada Border Service Agency

Ottowa ON
K1A 0L89

Tel 1 -800-461-9999
Tel 1-204-983-3500
Tel 1-506-636-5064
Email [email protected]

All information featured above is for viewing purposes only. To obtain up-to-date information about overseas shipment, please notify your nearest Consulate.